Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Anticipation

I really related to the third diary entry in this section because it was about a teacher’s first day ever teaching a class. I understood the feelings of inadequacy. I remember during practicum having the same thoughts and feelings and I often worry that no matter how much I know and no matter how prepared I am for a class, I will never truly know what it is I am doing. It is silly and I know that. 4 years of training for a job should be more than adequate. I should feel more prepared for my first teaching job. I also related to this one because the teacher had a small inner conflict about how much to share with the class. I was worried about that during practicum too but I realized very quickly that the students respected me more when I shared my interests and who I was with them, and even more when I showed interest in their interests. The seventeenth entry was similar to the idea of sharing. The teacher in that one was faced with students who wanted to know about sex and had not been allowed to get that information from other teachers. I think that people often feel uncomfortable talking about sex. And that is really too bad because how else are students supposed to get that information? I hope that if I am ever in a situation similar to this teacher, that I won’t be so embarrassed that I will forget that education is more important than those feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment