Monday, September 20, 2010

Engagement

I loved entry 51, about the teacher who was taking the student across the border and entry 66 about the teacher who spent 200 dollars to make sure her student could go to college. Those things seemed like things I would do as a teacher. I know that I am one of those teachers that cares an awful lot about what happens to her students. Sometimes that idea really scares me. It means that I will be open to a lot of heartbreak and a lot of happiness. Those things don't scare me. I believe that all risks have a chance of failure and my students are always a risk I am willing to take. The part that scares me is that sometime I might go too far. I see myself burying myself in debt or losing sleep and therefore my health worrying or going to jail for illegally taking a student across the border cause they need to get home. I love these entries because the teachers were honest about how far they were willing to go for their kids. But it makes me all the more worried about how far I am willing to go. I am already the person all of my friends and family turn to for help and advice. I am already the person that bears everyone else's burdens. And I do that for those people mostly without having boundaries of how far I will go because I love them and they are family, I know they will never ask me to go too far. Many of my students will have no one else. Where do I draw the line for them? Do I draw a line? Can a person care for someone else too much? And if so, how much is too much?

No comments:

Post a Comment