Monday, October 25, 2010

Discipline

I thought that Ryan and Sarah did a very good job with this issue. I liked that they had us do skits. It was good to see what things we thought worked and what things we didn't think worked. I liked that we did a good way and a bad way. I think many of the behaviors they picked though are things that we won't see in our school. They were a little to specific. Such as the gambling and the PDA in class. I think the PDA is more likely to happen in the halls and I think the gambling is a little less prevalent. I would have liked to see them give us out some alternative discipline strategies and try them out on common situations. For example it would have been interesting to see how the threat of detention works in comparison to the threat of in school labor when dealing with students who are disruptive. We didn't really get to see common behaviors such as talking when they are supposed to be listening or passing notes or cheating or not turning in homework or skipping school. I would have liked to see some alternative ways of addressing these issues because detention certainly does not work. I think that knowing the history of discipline and where we stand as individuals is important but also would have liked some information on other ways of thinking. They really only incorporated that into the end of the lesson.

The books were also good. That was a good way to show some resources that can give a starting point as to how to handle some sticky situations. And it was enjoyable to mock the out of date ways of thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment