Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Empowerment

I really liked this section. I think it was my favorite section. It did a really good job covering the most important part of teaching, empowering our youth to change the world. That is what teachers are supposed to do. We are supposed to show them that they have the ability to affect the world around them, to change things. We are here to show them they can do anything.

I think my favorite entry in the entire section was the last one. It did a good job summing up the end of the school year and the book as a whole. Plus I liked the message it sent. The author of this entry describes it as giving their students angel wings. It is certainly something similar to that. Education id supposed to lift us up and give us freedom, like flying.

I also really liked the one about Mike, the kid who wanted to drop out of school because he failed his final portfolio. I loved the image of the whole class and all the teachers outside the building trying to coax that one kid inside. I was amazed by the community that had been created there. And I loved that the teacher never gave up on him. It was clear that the kid had struggled and failing the portfolio had brought up a lot of issues for him. I am glad that the teacher was still hopefully he would work through that and return.

No comments:

Post a Comment